My Blog List

Thursday 1 January 2015

#nurture1415

Last year I was very new to digital interaction for professional purposes and certainly not brave enough to come away from the edge of the dance floor and join in with the #nurture1314 party.  So I admired and wondered; smiled, clapped and even tapped my feet; but remained resolutely immobile.

To be honest, my interaction hasn't progressed much further during 2014 - a few tentative moves here and there, but not much more.  However, I've decided that 2015 will be different, so... here I am, limbered up and ready to bust a move (my legs have gone wobbly and I feel a bit sick, but I'm putting that down to stage fright)...

Looking Back...

I'm going to cheat a little and begin my reflections in the latter stages of 2013...


  1. After attending a course hosted at my school and led by the amazingly inspirational @jillberry102, I enrolled, in November 2013, on a four week online course (lead again by Jill along with another great mentor @andyhampton) aimed at those looking towards headship in the independent sector (Leading an Independent School).  This was a really useful undertaking; increasing my knowledge of areas in which it can be tricky to gain experience, particularly finance, governance and marketing, and setting me on the path of further self development.  I have thoroughly enjoyed (no, honestly, I have!) meeting with my school bursar and becoming more confident when looking at published accounts.
  2. One of the most valuable pieces of professional advice proffered by Jill Berry was to get involved in Twitter for educational(ist) purposes.  As a keen student I took her advice, although I can honestly say that I did not truly appreciate the gift at first.  The main joy/benefit/worthiness of Twitter, for me, is the treasure trove of blogs and publications to which I am directed and which have me itching to try out new ideas in the classroom/school.  However, I would be lying if I claimed that the chats, advice, support, disagreements, rants and general camaraderie of the Twitter arena are not pleasurable and enriching.
  3. At school, I am pleased with how well staff engaged with developing new appraisal procedures (despite some understandable concerns about PRP) and have enjoyed meeting with all the teachers in my Performance Management group - there is a real sense of energy in these conversations and I'm excited by what each are trying to achieve, both individually and collegiately.  Perhaps I will be reflecting on the successes and 'not yets' next year?
  4. For my own Performance Objectives I am focussing on staff development; specifically, I am setting up a Teaching and Learning working party to provide a forum for all staff to share ideas and engage with new pedagogy.  First meeting in the New Year... I am also organising staff group and individual IT sessions to help those who feel less than confident with the basics - from creating spreadsheets to handling an iPad.  The first meetings have been positive and full of good humour - I feel so lucky to work alongside such a fabulous bunch of teachers.


Looking ahead...

If 2014 seems a little quiet as I look back; at this point 2015 looks like being decidedly more challenging for one reason or another.  But, no matter what comes my way I hope I can greet all with patience and good humour (Well, one can but try!).  From where I stand right now my aspirations are to...


  1. Continue playing my part in our preparation for inspection - it is very likely that we will be receiving a visit this year...hurrah!
  2. Read more educational blogs and books - perhaps a timetable would be good?
  3. Successfully chair the Teaching and Learning working party mentioned above
  4. Investigate and possibly enrol (finances allowing) on an MA in Educational Leadership
  5. Maybe... Just maybe... Take that step...  I think I'm ready, so...  Who knows?

No comments:

Post a Comment